Image

The Greenland Fishery History

The house was built in 1605 by John Aitken, merchant and four times Mayor of Lynn. In 1660 his grandson Thomas Aitken ‘of London’ sold it. It seems that at an early stage the house was divided into two, the southern portion became a public house – The Fisherman’s Arms’ or The Waterman’s Arms’. By 1796 it had been renamed ‘The Greenland Fishery’ … The rest is – history.

King’s Lynn timeline

With thanks to King’s Lynn Online

1000 to 1499

  • 1086 – First mention of Lynn in Domesday Book.
  • 1101 – St Margaret’s Church founded.
  • 1204 – First Borough charter from King John.
  • 1216 …
    Read More
Witches’ marks at The Greenland Fishery
3 years ago

Witches’ marks at The Greenland Fishery

The marks above the fireplace in the south part of the Greenland Fishery are very distinct and look like simple graffiti, or maybe carpenter’s marks. But it’s been suggested they …
Read More

Whaling
4 years ago

Whaling

Whales have been hunted by humans since prehistoric times; for meat, fuel, and all sorts of other products.

 

Maritime industries have played a key part of King’s Lynn’s history …
Read More

The History
5 years ago

The History

Origins

The house was built in 1605 by John Aitken, merchant and four times Mayor of Lynn. In 1660 his  grandson Thomas Aitken ‘of London’ sold it. It seems that …
Read More

The Tavern
5 years ago

The Tavern

The Greenland Fishery was a Public House for some 250 years – probably from 1660’s until the early 1900’s.

Wall Paintings
5 years ago

Wall Paintings

The Wall Paintings

The Paintings on the first floor of the south side of The Greenland Fishery are some of the most important and high quality secular wall paintings in …
Read More