the Greenland Fishery Museum
Between 1911 and 1912 the entire buildings, including a cottage on the corner and a bakehouse at the rear, was purchased by Mr E.M Beloe a local solicitor and historian and turned into a museum. It was opened on June 6th 1912 by the Earl of Oxford, and housed an extensive collection of items bought together by him and his father. Downstairs housed a bakers shop run by a Mr Lewis, baking his wares in the basement kitchen. Visitors had to enter the museum through the shop and Mrs Lewis who was the museum caretaker would encourage them to try Mr Lewis’s “ship’s” biscuits.