From Jacobean to 21st Century

1599

It starts

And this is how the story goes…

1640

Divided we stand

The house is divided in two…

1660

Becomes a pub…

the house was sold by Atkins’ grandson, part of it has become a tavern – The Waterman’s Arms or The Fisherman’s Arms

1740

Blown away…

Great storm blows the spire off KL Minster, probably did for the top floor of GF

1796

The birth of the GFP?

The building is renamed after the whaling industry

1899

You’re not fit…

The ‘Greenland Fishery Beerhouse’ was declared unfit for human habitation by the Medical Officer of Health

1911

Secure or Demolish

Owners served notice by Borough Surveyors to secure or demolish the inn and two adjoining cottages.  The front property was offered to Council for £50 but declined as it needed £300 spending

1912

the Greenland Fishery Museum

Edward Milligan Beloe purchases the whole property, and creates the Greenland Fishery Museum.  Artifacts ranged from Iron Age, to the Relics of Eugene Aram.  More of a Cabinet of Curiosities.  (more…)

1932

The GF is sold…

After Beloe’s death, the GF is sold jointly to King’s Lynn Borough Council and the Norfolk Archeological Trust 

1941

The Luftwaffe hits home

WW2 bomb explodes at back of GF. Collections removed to Town Museum

1946

Restoration

Building is restored – part offices, part residential

1951

The Ladies in the House

Bullock, Keith…

 

1992

The ladies leave

Ms Bullock moves out

1997

Into Trusty hands…

Ownership transferred to KLPT

2012

And here we come…

It’s us